Member Directory

Frequently Asked Questions

Related Sites

The CAP Monitor

Contact Us

Internationally Educated Applicants

In Alberta, you are required to have achieved a minimum of a Master’s degree in psychology or a Master’s degree with content substantially equivalent to a Master’s degree with a major in psychology.

Please note: all applicants who have completed a graduate degree outside of Canada or the United States will be required to complete an Ethics and Standards course which focuses on the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) or American Psychological Association (APA) ethical guidelines.

If your degree(s) are from a university outside of Canada or the United States, you must first have your degree(s) assessed to determine if they are comparable in academic level to degree(s) from Canadian universities. This assessment must be arranged through;

International Qualifications Assessment Service
9th floor, 108 Street Building
9942 108 ST
Edmonton, AB
Canada T5K 2J5

Individuals calling from;
Edmonton: 780-427-2655
Toll-free in Alberta: 310-0000 (ask for 427-2655)
Toll-free in Saskatchewan: 1-800-999-3965
Toll-free in Northwest Territories: 1-866-692-7057
Canada and overseas call direct: 1-780-427-2655

You will need to request the “Specialized Assessment”. While the statement from the evaluation service will indicate to the College whether the academic credentials are comparable in academic level to degrees granted by a Canadian university, the College reserves the right to make a final determination of the level and will evaluate, in accordance with the College’s criteria for academic credentials, whether the content of the degree(s) is primarily psychological in nature.

If the university outside of Canada or the United States is unable to send a transcript directly to the College, the College may accept a certified copy of the transcript the university issued to the applicant. If the transcript and official university documents are in a language other than English, the applicant must arrange to have these documents translated by a certified translator.

Once you have arranged for an IQAS assessment and your university transcripts, you may proceed to send in your Application for Evaluation of Academic Credentials. The following must be received to process your application:

  1. Application form (completed in its entirety)
  2. Corresponding fee
  3. Original IQAS assessment (copies are not acceptable) – to be included with your application form
  4. Official transcripts or certified translated copies of your transcripts from all academic institutions in which you are listing coursework from on your application form (certified copies can be included with your application form while original official transcripts must be mailed directed from the academic institution to the College).

International English Language Testing System

Foreign qualified applicants are required to take an English language proficiency test unless their highest degree was obtained in English OR they have a high school diploma or a minimum of two years of undergraduate education (in any field) in English.

All other foreign qualified applicants must have taken IELTS academic version within 24 months of application, and achieved a minimum score of 7.0 in each component.

If you have further questions, you may contact the Credentials Evaluation and Registration Coordinator;

Telephone: 780-424-5070, ext. 307
Fax: 780-420-1241
Mail: College of Alberta Psychologists
Suite 2100 Sun Life Place
10123 99 ST
Edmonton, AB
Canada T5J 3H1